Broth (10 cups total) – tomato (12 oz. can of tomato paste + 2 16 oz. cans chopped tomatoes with juice + water = total of 10 cups); chicken, turkey, beef, or vegetable broth
Protein (1 lb. or 2 cups cooked) – browned ground beef, chopped leftover meatballs or meatloaf, cooked chicken or turkey, ham, lentils, beans (canned or cooked), tofu
Grains (2 cups total) – cooked rice, cooked barley, pasta, corn, dumplings
Vegetables (raw, frozen, cooked, or canned; total of 1 – 2 cups) – cabbage, carrots, leeks, celery, onion, shallots, garlic, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, turnips, parsnips, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, bell peppers, zucchini, any type of squash, mushrooms, beets, corn, tomatoes
Seasonings (choose 2 – 4 spices, 1 – 2 tsp. each) – basil, cayenne (dash), chives, cumin, garlic, marjoram, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric
- Bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add all other ingredients, and season to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place boiling broth and other ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook for 8 – 12 hours or overnight on LOW setting.
Recipe adapted from: Eating Cheap