8 medium red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
1 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. lean ground beef, turkey, or beans
1 ½ cups cooked rice or other grain
1 (15 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
8 oz. shredded Monterey Jack or other cheese
- Preheat oven to 3750F. Pour just enough water to cover the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Prepare the peppers: Cut off the tops of the peppers, and discard any seeds and membranes from the interior of the pepper. Remove the stems from the tops, and roughly chop the pepper caps.
- Sprinkle the insides of the peppers with 1 tsp. salt. Place the peppers in the prepared baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and allow to cool.
- Prepare the filling: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Add onion and chopped pepper tops, season with salt, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
- Add ground beef or other protein and cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rice or other grain and tomatoes.
- Fill and bake the peppers: Evenly divide the mixture among the peppers. Divide cheese over each filled pepper. Bake uncovered until peppers are softened, filling is hot, and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from: Kitchn